Thursday, October 14, 2010

#11: Allow Me To Be Self-indulgent

I knew we were experiencing the Great Depression when I found myself craving for restaurant food. We just finished our Guinisang Sardinas dinner and for the last three consecutive meals, we ate the same thing. Sardines is really fine for me but eating it consecutively is another thing. I asked my husband,


"Do you think we'll be able to afford a nice sit-down dinner in a semi-fine-dining restaurant anytime in the future? Yung kumpleto, may soup, main course and dessert, coffee... ayun?"
"I'm sure, sometime in the future", he answered smiling faintly, probably feeling for me, understanding the food-lover/adventurer in me that is being frustrated by our present state.
Encouraged by his answer, I closed my eyes to push my fantasy a little further.
We'll drive to a resto, something like Annabel's or Cafe Bola... something like that. We park then we will be welcomed by the hostess. We'll sit down and ponder upon the order, this time looking at the food that I really like and not the price I can afford. We'll probably have French Onion Soup with French bread on top crusted with melted mozzarella cheese.. I can imagine the soft, brownish, caramelized onions. On the side, we'll have a simple Caesar Salad. After that, my husband will order a fillet of fish (as always) with some creamy sauce or pesto sauce on top and brown rice, I will have garlic pesto pasta with... hmm, chicken But that's too boring. Garlic pesto with pine nuts and Parmesan cheese and Italian bread sticks. Or pasta puttanesca! Right... with parmesan garlic bread (I love garlic!) Or if I'm not having this, I'll have Cordon Bleu and garlic mashed potatoes and some exciting vegetable dish on the side. Finishing our meals we'll proceed to order his creme brulee, still flaming when served, and my blueberry cheesecake... yup, tart berries, creamy, firm and smooth cake, melts in my mouth, contrasted by the crumbs in the crust... maaaaan, I'm sinning now... As we're downing our desserts with a cup of cappuccino, I opened my eyes.
And felt so much better. I felt so happy!
I don't know why. I was expecting to be a tad deeper into my self-pity but instead, it comforted me. Because I discovered that I've eaten enough good food to remember how they feel and taste in my mouth and to fuel lavish fantasies such as this. While others can only fantasize about the next pandesal that they can afford, I go rattling French and Italian in my mind. I don't feel so sorry about the sardines anymore.
If you once afforded, or can still afford a Chowking lugaw, a sidewalk mami, a Starbucks ensaymada, a bag of rolled oats, Ma Po Tofu from North Park, a handful of Judge gums from the nearest suking tindahan, a chili rice from Wendy's or a nice hot garlic shawarma, be grateful. You have something to smile about.

No comments:

Post a Comment