Thursday, November 11, 2010

#16: Lights Out

I started counting when it happened around twenty times already in 6 months. During the first 5 times it happened, I probably didn't notice.


When it happened ten times, I took it as a coincidence.


After it happened 15 times, it became an X-filish trivia of my life that I told my friends so they will say, "Weird..."


When it happened twenty times already, I was officially freaked out. Then I started counting to formalize my tally of this simple yet mildly disturbing phenomenon.


Lamp posts turn off when I pass by.


I even have friends with me during some of the times it happened. I was in front of the church, walking to the car with our church food provider. The church lamp post went off. Me and my friends were walking in area two in UP some midnight, just loitering, when a road lamp went off.
My husband parked his car to drop off an item to a friend. I stayed in the car to read my book under the light of the lamp post when, rudely, it turned off.


A year after, I got seriously weirded out when it started happening at one lamp post intervals probably January this year. There was a time I was jogging with my husband when three lamp posts went off on me, in the same road, with only one lamp in between them! This kind of frequency happened to me twice already.


Since then, I already have this unusual suspenseful feeling when I'm walking at night. I already half-expect it to happen, yet when it actually does, I get startled. Like this one instance when I was walking with my hubby when a lamp post went out RIGHT WHEN I WAS EXACTLY UNDER IT. @#%&! My heart raced because somehow I can't pass it off anymore as a silly coincidence. When the lamp posts don't turn off, sometimes, they just flicker/quiver when I pass by, as if it's trying to fight. My husband knows this and is a witness to the numerous instances that it happened. At first, he will shake his head in disbelief. But now, I think he's already surrendered to the fact that it happens. During those moments when they just "quiver", my husband would say "Aba, o, lumalaban pa itong ilaw na ito sa'yo, o."


Nevertheless, I am not dispensing any explanation for it, you know, those paranormal, supernatural or brain power crap. I am just about learning to "enjoy" the fact that lamp posts are overwhelmed in my presence. Not "by", but "in" my presence. Those are two different things.
As I know it, these lamp posts automatically detect the presence of light. When the sun is up, it automatically turns off. When the sun starts to rest, they take the liberty to lend their own meager rays.


In my case, I'd like to think that I have legions of angels that God sent to be my bodyguards. They're so radiant that these lamps falter at their unseen light. Those little light detectors attached on top of the lamps simply deem it unnecessary to light my way, So you see, it's not me. Its just that I can be so weak and fragile at times that I need this many angels.
The latest lights-out experience counted 178 in my tally. God is so thoughtful, isn't He?

No comments:

Post a Comment